]]>

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

[Don't] Forget 'Em














As I sat listening to Consequence's "Don't Forget 'Em", I was somewhat ironically reminded of the things that I can't forget. Somehow, parts of my past keep coming up in the most unexpected of places and refuses to be shelved with the rest of my memories.

About a week ago, I was listening to a song by The Attorneys, and wondered why I'd developed such an attachment to that one particular song. It was catchy enough, sure, but when I started to really pay attention to the lyrics, I realized that the words conveyed exactly how I'd been feeling the past few months. All along, I just thought it was a good, upbeat song, then I started listening to a few other songs I'd been attached to, and realized that they too described the thoughts and feelings that I'd been trying to forget. Maybe subconsciously I was listening to these songs because part of me didn't want to let go, but I'm not quite sure. I guess what I'm trying to say is, a lot of times our music selection is more than a reflection of our taste, but our mood and feelings, perhaps a lot more so than we might have, or at least I, ever thought.

That said, here are some songs in my rotation, minus the ones that I referred to earlier (as if I would let anyone into my mind like that. You must be crazy).

[MP3] Consequence :: Don't Forget 'Em (Prod. by Kanye West)
Ok, so Kanye can't rhyme and he's a conceited ASS, but damn can he make beats. Consequence's playfully adolescent rhymes are perfect over Ye's flute loop, which really brings you back to being that teenager with big dreams.


[MP3] Kanye West:: Stronger (A-Trak Remix)
See my above comments about Kanye, and add my favorite Quebecois DJ and you have a remix that's harder/better/faster/stronger than the original. Don't act like I never told ya.

[MP3] Artifacts :: Whayback
I'm adding this joint to my list of criminally slept on songs - I can't believe 13 years have passed and I never came across this one. As soon as the bass drops and the horns kick in you'll be hooked- and yes, while I do have a major soft spot for those back-in-the-day/reminisce-type of songs, this one's still an instant classic.

[MP3] Goodie Mob :: Black Ice (feat. Outkast)
Yet another head nodder from the '90s that I slept on- I can't believe how much good ish came out of that decade...definitely my favorite Goodie Mob track, with trademark Dungeon Family flows over a nice, slick, Southern beat. I could've really used this one on that Mercedes test drive...guess I'll have to settle with blowin up my speakers in the Civic.

[MP3] Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators :: My Four Leaf Clover

Sharon Jones, Leela James, and to a lesser extent, Amy Winehouse are all great, but Nicole Willis is my favorite among the retro soul set. Who knew a Finnish band could bring Memphis back like this? This album's been on permanent rotation since I found it at Amoeba (ok fine, Limewire, damn).


[MP3] Lauryn Hill :: Lose Myself
I was a bit conflicted over the synthesizer beat, but as soon as Lauryn's voice droped in, I was lost in her lyrics (no pun intended)- I can't believe I hadn't heard of this earlier, it's definitely unlike any of Lauryn's previous recordings, but her trademark lyricism and heartbreak is still there.

[MP3] Big Shug :: Play It (Primo Remix feat. Royce da 5'9", Termanology, and Singapore Kane)
I don't like to hate, but I really wonder where Big Shug would be without his saving grace- Premier and guest MCs...I mean damn, when Shug SINGS "let the music play, let the music playyyyy ayyyyyy" I just cringe- thankfully Royce, Termanology, and Singapore Kane's flows ride nicely on this signature Primo beat.

|bruce banner|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home