]]>

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Why Boys Will be Boys














Alright, so the songs i'm putting up are hardly slept on or even remotely unfamiliar, but I just had to post this stuff up after the last weekend...allow me to explain...two months ago, our good (married) friend Rob found out his wife was leaving town the weekend of August 18th, and promptly sent out the following email :

"Michelle is heading up to the Bay Area 8/18-19. Anyone interested in going to Vegas for the weekend? Of course I'll still need to clear the trip, but hell, I cant wait for Muttpop's party to get back to vegas! Shit! Or if we end up staying down here, lets try to get some good times in that weekend. Let me know what's working for you. Take Care, Rob"

Now note that this email came TWO months before the actual day of, and I'm not going to comment on how funny that is, or what it tells me about married life, but for Rob's Big Weekend of Freedom he ended up planning for us to go to a Mercedes test drive at Santa Monica airport followed by some drinking and clubbing. Before I go on, let me just preface all this by saying I've never been one to be very impressed by material things, brand names, status or any of that. I mean, take a look at my car, all my donated (NOT mooched as debstar and hippo would have you believe) furniture, my (nonprofit) job, and you know I couldn't even care about that stuff if I wanted to because I don't have those kinds of ends anyways. But whatever, I thought it'd be fun to go abuse the crap out of a nice car and knock over some cones, and signed up.

That day, we unfortunately found out that the closed course test drive on the tarmac was no longer available because of FAA issues, but we were all still determined to drive like maniacs on the streets of Santa Monica. We get to the front of the line for the drive, and there's something about seeing a row of brand new, engines purring, gleaming sportscars all lined up outside the hangar that quickened my pulse and had the boy in me getting all giddy. They then tell us to get into the cars and I head straight for the titanium gray C-300 Sport and as I opened the door, I suddenly felt like an 8-year old kid whose dad threw him the keys to his car and told him to get stupid.

I never thought I'd have that much fun, but banging the shit out of the stereo with the windows and sunroof open on a perfect LinkSanta Monica day, getting dirty looks from the neighbors as I floored the Mercedes and slammed the brakes at each stop sign brought out the most immature, gleefully carefree side of me that reminded me of childhood (not that I ever got to do this as a boy). What really made my day though, was that Power 106 was playing the PERFECT bass bumping songs for the test drive...I mean, Kanye, UGK, AND Black Sheep?!? I couldn't have asked for better joints to accompany our frenzied drive careening through the streets with the stereo on blast. So here's to wives being out of town, crapping in the parking lot of Blue Wave car wash (wasn't me!), and getting to be belligerent boys again.

[MP3] Kanye West :: Stronger
[MP3] UGK :: International Players Anthem
[MP3] Black Sheep :: The Choice is Yours

|bruce banner|

4 Comments:

Blogger Bobby Tomio said...

I'll claim to the shitting (sorry Blue Wave!). ;-)

Good times. You fail to mention that the night was essentially over at 9:30pm. Sobering up Rob for 3 hours was a bitch.

-Muttpop

5:10 PM  
Blogger debbie said...

wtf is this shit!? "boys will be boys"?? don't boys ever EVOLVE?

HA! jk.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Mista Hippo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Mista Hippo said...

That's why you gotta love banner, so low key. Love the fact that it's 'Rob'. May we only continue to De-evolve gentlemen.

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home