]]>

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Follow the Light





















I'm trying to think of how best to describe MF Doom's monster-movie concept album "Take me to Your Leader" and can't think of the right words except to say it's...unconventional. Relying heavily on what sounds like '60s and '70s movie soundtrack samples, the album is dense, gritty, and atmospheric. Released in '03 under the moniker King Geedorah, Doom again ventured into otherwordly territory that maybe sounds most like Kool Keith's "Dr. Octagynecologist" album, but even more insane, if that's possible.

While I love the beats on this album, I can't say I'm that big a fan of some of the featured MCs, whose flows at times overwhelm the cinematic arrangements. I like my rhymes delivered with a little more consideration to the beat it's riding on so they complement, rather than detract from one another, which seems to be the case on some of these tracks. Either that, or it's just too underground for me. A notable exception is Hassan Chop (has anyone heard of him before?) on
"I Wonder", a song I featured a while back that I still bump on a regular basis. That said, I'm sure any fan of Metalface will be sure to like this album, which again pushes the envelope and puts a fresh spin on hip hop.

[MP3] King Geedorah :: Fazers
[MP3] King Geedorah :: Krazy World (feat. Gigan)


|bruce banner|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home