]]>

Friday, October 13, 2006

GETDOWNNN Love Dilla (& Diddy?)




[HIPPO’S NOTE: I’ll be off to Chi-Town for a little bit of business and a lot of R&R. So I won’t be putting up any posts for about a week. Any of y’all out there who know where the spots are for clubbin’, records, and eats please help me out.]


Good week for the Exclusive Heads, especially if you like dope hip-hop producers. First Hi-tek’s Hi-Teknology 2 (checkout my post, An Old Flame… if you haven’t yet). Today it’s the late, great J. Dilla’s Jay Love Japan & Diddy’s (he was a producer before he became the artist/fashion designer/Broadway actor/business mogul/Proactiv spokesperson ) Press Play.
First up is, as we should, Jay Love Japan. If you’ve ever been to the record stores in Japan, you understand why Jay Love Japan. I know its already out in Japan, but hey, there hasn’t even been a release date set for it here yet. It’s Jay’s parting shot, the last of the last. And it ain’t table scraps. Makes me sad, but I won’t dwell on it here (checkout Soulquarian: The Love Tribute). It’s unfortunate that it’s so short and sweet, but we do with what we have.

Fortunately (or also unfortunately), we do have Puffy’s, Sean Comb’s, P. Diddy’s, Puff Daddy’s, Diddy’s, whatever the hell you want to call him, new album Press Play (if you dare!) set to be released on 10/17. For me, it’s alright, nothing crazy, but alright. I’ve included the tracks below that I could stand and that don’t sound so obviously ghostwritten. If you're wondering why Diddy’s on GETDOWNNN - we need the traffic and really, some of it isn’t that bad. It could be worse, he could be giving us breast milk from a Cambodian immigrant (see above).

[MP3] J. Dilla feat. Ta’Raach & DJ Exile :: Say It!
[MP3] J. Dilla feat. J’Davey :: Red Light
[MP3] J. Dilla feat. Blu & Jontel :: Sun In My Face
[MP3] J-Rocc :: Thank You Jay Dee (A Tribute Mix)

[MP3] Diddy feat. Big Boi, Ciara & Scar :: Wanna Move
[MP3] Diddy feat. Keri :: After Love
[MP3] Diddy feat. Jamie Foxx :: Partners For Life

Dilla’s site

Diddy’s site

Double D.
::MISTA HIPPO::

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got to be one of very few people who actually has a copy of the Mood album that Hi-Tek produced. I'm not gonna say it's anything spectacular, but there is a gem or two and it definitely shows the potential that would later come to shine through in his tracks. Tek had fallen off of my radar for a good minute there, I'm interestedto see how this new album sounds as a whole.

I knew about Jay Love Japan, but I didn't realize it was already released overseas. The Shining is alright, but quite honestly I'm still grabing for Donuts when it comes to preffered listening choice.

I'm not sure what to think about Diddy's new joint. I hear it's supposed to be the miraculous return of Bad Boy. I kind of shrug my shoulders to that at this point, but I have found my head nodding to a couple of tracks I've heard so far.

On a totally seperate, yet somehow oddly related note, is it just me or have you guys noticed quite a lot of MOP vocal samples popping up in tracks lately?

1:11 AM  
Blogger Mista Hippo said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Everytime Sean Combs drops an album, they blow it up to make it seem like its gonna save hip-hop (remember when he dropped that one album shortly after BIG died?). I mean, give me a break. Homeboy's a good business man with a great marketing team.
That Jay Love Japan is great. I can send you more tracks if you like? It's just a bit short.
I've heard of Mood, but actually never heard any of the tracks. Would you mind sending some my way?

Thanks for the continued support.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Diddy actually filed a 1.5 million dollar lawsuit cause his skin broke out. I guess it didn't "preserve his sexy". What an arrogant ass.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home