]]>

Friday, September 15, 2006

Speakin’ Pigeon

Figured since Muttpop & Banner have been dealing out the realness on MC’s, I’d join the party eventually. But I want to focus my attention to the lesser known MCs who don't get the credit they deserve. Just a little late, but I plan to catch up here.

I just picked up the new Pigeon John album and it is the first album of his that I can really get into most of the tracks on it. For those of you who don’t know, Pigeon John is an alum of the legendary Good Life Café in Los Angeles (where Freestyle Fellowship, The Pharcyde, Black Eyed Peas, Jurassic 5, etc. all honed their skills at the open mic and poetry sessions held there). PJ has been doing his thing right beneath the surface and hasn’t seemed to get as much love as some of the other Good Lifers. I haven’t quite been able to put my finger on it, but for me, it wasn’t until I heard his verse on the Blackalicious song “Side To Side” off The Craft that I really started to pay closer attention. His contrast on it is great. See for yourself below.

With this new album, Pigeon John and the Summertime Pool Party, I think PJ is going for a broader audience with a refined focus on melodies and an eclectic bag of beats. Also releasing this off Quannum (DJ Shadow’s label) will give him greater exposure as well. His time is due. Here are a few of my favorites off the new album along with my other favorite tracks of his.

[MP3] Blackalicous feat. Lateef & Pigeon John :: Side to Side
{Big Ups to Rob Duece for sitting me down and making me listen to this!}


[MP3] Pigeon John feat. Abstract Rude :: Life Goes On
{My favorite track off his 2nd album, Pigeon John Is Dating Your Sister}
[MP3] Pigeon John :: Welcome to the Show

{Have fun in hip-hop!}
[MP3] Pigeon John :: Do the Pigeon

{Haven’t dug a hip-hop dance like this, since the Humpty Hump!}
[MP3] Pigeon John :: The Last Sunshine

PJ’s site

Take cover.
:: MISTA HIPPO::

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'ALL SHOULD DO A POST ON J-LIVE. THATS THE REAL MUTHA FUCKER RIGHT THERE!

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home