]]>

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Summer Break 3 (August): Reminiscing On Those Summer Weddings



[Hippo's disclaimer: I actually wrote this a couple weeks ago (I know, hella early, but this is my only release from my horrible day job - you don't even want to know) & have had an idea to post on Tom Brock since this blog's inception. Anyways, I finally get around to it & what do I see on the blog of blogs, Soul Sides
? I just want to make sure O-Dub doesn't think I'm biting his wedding theme if he ever does look at this blog. Mr. Wang, maybe you can drop some knowledge on what this Pharcyde break below is.]

Now that it's August and fall is creepin' right around the corner, I'd thought I'd do a little tribute piece for those of you who recently got married (I'm still holding strong!). This song will work for any wedding (5 for 5 thus far), but it especially helps everyone cool off, chill out, and feel the love during the summer heat wave. Tom Brock's "There's Nothing In This World That Can Stop Me From Loving You" off his classic (slept on) soul album, I Love You More and More . Definitely need to have this album on your shelf (Also, with songs like the title track. Come on! That should make people fall in love on the spot…FLAVA FLAAAV. Sorry, couldn't resist. Mos Def sampled it, so he knows what I'm talking about ). I put some of the songs off this album onto a CD for my cousin who was getting hitched (He wanted songs he could use…besides The Whispers "Rock Steady". Isn't it strange/sad how "Rock Steady" is almost as much a guarantee to be played as the Bridal Chorus?). And sure enough, "There's Northing In This World That Can Stop Me From Loving You" worked like a charm. Hypnotized everyone (so people couldn't tell that my cous can't slow dance). Kanye West must have also been to a few weddings in his time, cause this was the gem he sampled/looped for Jay-Z's "Girls, Girls, Girls" song off the classic Blueprint album (The video's above. Has got to be my favorite Jigga video of all time. Sort of the opposite of what marriage is supposed to be all about though).

[MP3] Tom Brock :: There's Nothing in This World that can Stop me from Loving You
{Definite contender for longest song title ever}
[MP3] The Whispers :: Rock Steady
[MP3] Mendelssohn :: The Bridal Chorus


{Is it just me or does this version sound like Disney's Main St. Electric Parade is about to start? Bright lights, catchy music…big production, but at the end of it all you wonder why the hell did you stand there throughout the whole thing. The similarities are scary}

Sorry if this post was media'd out. Trying to keep it interesting (And no, I've never been married before).

:: MISTA HIPPO ::

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations mista hippo!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so when's the big day???

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stan Getz, duhhh.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you compiled a playlist for your wedding yet? I'm getting married this winter and I'd like to get your suggestions on the following:
1. Good background songs during dinner
2. Songs for mother/son, father/daughter dance. Nothing too freaky, and nothing too generic and common.
3. First dance. I know it should be personal but I'd like to know what your first dance song will be.

Congratulations!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Mista Hippo said...

Hippo's Comments on Comments:
1. im not getting married, so very funny banner, muttpop and friends for those "anonymous" comments. so clever!
2. to the anonymous comment that said its a stan getz song, thanks, but what's the title of the song and album?
3. to the person who posted the generic_label comment, if youre for real, i appreciate the request, but can you please email me directly (my contact info is in my profile section). ill need to get more information before i can pick some songs out, especially for your first dance.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jazz Samba Encore! on Verve 1963, the song is "Saudade Vem Correndo" *sigh*

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey all, I've been hella busy lately so I've been scarce with the comments, but I've definitely been keeping up with the updates and posts. I can say without reservation that "Get Down" is my favorite blog.

So I've inferred from your posts that you guys are in LA. I just got a random email about "Darker My Love" and saw that Asobi Sesku is opening up for them on a few dates. I know Bruce is all about them, so I figure he already knows, but if not I can pass on the info.

11:26 PM  
Blogger RIP BANNER said...

hey docta, thanks for the comment, glad you like the blog...yep, i heard about that show and will be there...never heard of darker my love, but i'll be going anyways to see Asobi Seksu...thanks again for the 411, and hope you keep coming back~
peace
bb

9:31 AM  
Blogger Mista Hippo said...

thanks to "anonymous" for shinning the light on my unedumacated a$$. i think i already have that rec actually...to think, all this time, its been right under my closable nostrils!

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home