]]>

Friday, September 22, 2006

EMCEE 101: PHYFE DAWG (TRIBE CALLED QUEST)

Rap group A Tribe Called Quest is an undisputed pioneer in Hip Hop music. Along with De La Soul and their Native Tongue clique, Tribe helped bring the sounds of Jazz to Hip Hop during the late 80’s and early 90’s.

But of the rappers (Q-Tip and Phyfe Dawg) that make up the Tribe Emcee Duo, Q-Tip is more commonly regarded as the superior Emcee. I’m here to challenge this widely accepted declaration.

Yes, I will concede. Q-Tip had the smoother voice (just ask the ladies!), but Phyfe was the superior battle rhymer. Phyfe had the attitude and cleverness to consistently put out some of the most piercing battle rhymes in the rap game.

From the first time I heard Phyfe declare, “Bust a nut inside your eye, to show you where I cum from!” on the hip hop classic “Scenario”, I knew this dude had the skills to battle with the best of them!

Below is Phyfe’s last verse on “Motivators”, the third track on A Tribe Called Quest’s highly underrated “Beats Rhymes And Life” album. Be sure to click on the highlighted phrases to see what Phyfe’s rhymes referred to. Many of his lines were very relevant to the pop culturisms of 1995, so click on through for either an education or a bit of nostalgia!

Let me tell you why I be the top dog in the industry.
(Why is that?)
Because all these so-called mutts are not seeing me.
(Say word.)
They too busy eating Cycles 1, 2 and 3.
They can’t emcee, I’d rather be down with fucking Droopy D.
My style is deadly, word bond, act like you fuckin’ know.
Been writing rhymes ever since Ray Parker sang with Raydio.
You’re style is played out like a two-tone down goose.
You couldn’t Converse if you had fuckin React juice.
So hold your corner as I fuckin bless this mic in here.
I’m eatin through your crew like Stephen King’s Langoliers.
Chop off my feet, word to God, I’m gonna hurt you.
(Will y’all fall off?)
Will Laura fuck Urkel? Never.
Here comes the funk, smell the aroma.
Kid, my shit’s the bomb, ask my peeps from Oklahoma.

[MP3] A Tribe Called Quest :: Motivators
[MP3] A Tribe Called Quest :: Scenario
[MP3] Ray Parker Jr. and Raydio :: A Woman Needs Love
-

Muttpop Bob

1 Comments:

Blogger Mista Hippo said...

The Phif-a! He does deserve his due in hip-hop history. Sports and bustin' nuts, Phife's specialty (my other favorite is from "Electric Relaxation": "Let me hit it from the back, girl I won't catch a hernia, Bust off on your couch, now you got Semen's furniture". But my favorite Phife lyric of all time would have to be from "Buggin' Out": "I never walk the streets, think it's all about me, Even though deep in my heart, it really could be, I just try my best to like go all out, Some might even say you shorty black you're buggin' out". Word.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home