]]>

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mass Appeal














It's been a minute since I've been hyped on a new artist, so when I first started to hear the buzz around Estelle, I took it all with a grain of salt and kept my expectations low. I really should've known better though, because when the props are coming from such sources as soul-sides, you know that the sh*t is real and Estelle lives up to the accolades and then some. Although most of you probably have heard the infectious Will.i.am-produced "American Boy" or one of its many remixes, I've really been feeling the reggae-suffused "Come Over" and the between-the-sheets grooves of "You Are." It's amazing how effortlessly Estelle flits between pop, hip hop, R&B, and reggae, and how versatile her voice is. With the smoothness of Sade and the charm and attitude of Lauryn., Estelle delivers an album with wide appeal that still retains it's authenticity. Now go cop it.

[MP3] Estelle :: You Are (feat. John Legend)
[MP3] Estelle :: Come Over (feat. John Legend)
[MP3] Estelle :: 1980

[Video] Estelle :: Free (feat. So Solid and John Legend)

|bruce banner|

3 Comments:

Blogger ADB said...

I remember seeing her at a club called '93 Feet East' in London back in 2001, she was supporting Black Twang. Back then she was all about rapping and didn't do any singing. After her set she was real cool and we had drinks with her and Black' at the bar. Nice Lady.

11:11 PM  
Blogger AaronM said...

Wil.i.am produced "American Boy". Still a good writeup though. I'm happy whenever quality music sneaks into the mainstream.

8:46 AM  
Blogger RIP BANNER said...

Ooh, you're right, on that Aaron - I got confused, thanks for the correction.
|bb|

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home