]]>

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Unsigned Hype















These days I've been so out of the loop with hip hop in general that I've completely forgotten that there's still an underground, still hungry emcees snatching mics, and still high school kids picking up used MPCs to become the new unsigned hype. No doubt they have a long and tough road ahead of them, especially in today's over-commercialized, overly jiggy hip hop world, but it's always refreshing to hear new, raw, hip hop, and talk to these guys who have such passion for what they do.

Just last week, one of my students, who's normally a bit surly and always looking sideways at somebody came up to me with a big grin on his face. "Hey you GOT to check this out" he said as he heaved his tattered and stuffed backpack onto the table. "What's up?" I asked. As he unzipped his backpack, there was obviously something big in there, and I could tell he was pretty excited about showing me whatever his new toy was. He had that giddiness of an 8-year old kid I didn't often see in him. As he proudly pulled out a shiny metal box, I saw the MPC logo and immediately understood his excitement. I loved seeing this - whether or not he or others are able to make a career out of their love for hip hop, up-and-coming artists remind me of that there's still a thriving underground that embodies how hip hop should be. So here are a few such emcees who got some real skills and deserve our support.

[MP3] Has-Lo :: Unsigned Emcees
[MP3] Has-Lo :: Calibration

More on Has-Lo on his blog and myspace

[MP3] Donny Goines :: The Light
[MP3] Donny Goines :: Play out in the Rain

Downloads and more on Donny here and on his myspace


|bruce banner|

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Any chance you could repost that "Wonder Wrote It" mix by Bobbito and Spinna that you posted back in September? I've got their "Wonder Of Stevie" CD, but I've heard this mix is even better. Thanks!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't feeling Donny Goines as much, but those two Has-Lo tracks are nice for sure. On Calibration dude almost sounds like he should be in wu-tang. Thanks for posting these, it's always good discovering new music.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Mista Hippo said...

It's back up joe. Keep coming back!

2:35 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

word bro, this is a post of substance. every moment there are kids writing rhymes in bedrooms and stuff, and picking up mics and rhyming away. these up-and-comers are definitely worth supporting if they're persistent in what they're doing.

Cheers
The Rhymeweaver

p/s: I've linked your blog in mine, hope you can do the same. Much appreciated. Will continue browsing the wealth of posts in your blog.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home