]]>

Sunday, March 16, 2008

You Keep Me Hanging On



















If you're like me, you might've come across Ann Peebles after browsing through Missy's liner notes to find out the break for "I Can't Stand the Rain." I was pretty surprised to hear that the original, which sounded so futuristically funky, came from Ann Peebles back in '73. After digging up the break, I had to hear more, and loved the warm arrangements and Memphis soul sound I found. These lush, layered grooves were really the signature of Hi Records' session musicians, the Hi Rhythm Section. Despite the sale of Hi Records in the late '70s, Peebles is one of the few artists who has been able to keep her career going from '69 all the way to her most recent retrospective re-recording release, "Brand New Classics" in 2006. Anyways, I'm sure most readers are pretty familiar with Peebles already, so I'll leave it at that and let you enjoy some of my favorites.

[MP3] Ann Peebles :: (You Keep Me) Hanging On
[MP3] Ann Peebles :: If We Can't Trust Each Other
[MP3] Ann Peebles :: Trouble, Heartache, and Sadness

|bruce banner|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home