]]>

Monday, November 26, 2007

Quiet Hip Hop




















I don't know why, but lately, it's been hard to motivate myself to blog....Not to say that I haven't been hearing some good music, but I think maybe the cold weather (and cold is a very relative term since I'm in LA) is finally settling in and slowing me down. It usually happens around this time of year - I stay in more, eat more, read more, think more, and sit around more... Sometimes I think I'm falling into a funk, but I find too much contentment sitting on the couch with a cold beer, spicy fried chicken, and bad TV to call it that. So what is it really? I have no idea, but it's always a nice change...my music listening habits have changed too - I go back to old favorites, and they're always a little more jazzy and soulful than those summertime bangers. Here's a sampling:

[MP3] The Clipse :: Mr Me Too (Z.A.K. Lee Fields Remix)
The Lee Fields original is badass, and this unconventional pairing brings "Mr. Me Too" to a whole new level.
[MP3] Juggaknots :: Clear Blue Skies
I've LOVED this song ever since first hearing it back in college - great storytelling + jazzy beats = unforgettable.
[MP3] Juggaknots :: 30 Something (feat. Sadat X)
This one goes out to Mr. Hippo, who's about to hit the dirty thirty, but hey, 30 is the new 20 right? Actually, I wouldn't know because I'm still in my 20s!!! Nyaaa!!!
[MP3] Talib Kweli :: The Manifesto
I had my iPod on shuffle and came up on this after not hearing it for years, and DAMNNNN. This song is even more relevant today. A genuine hip hop classic in every sense of the word. I still haven't heard any hip hop comps that can come close to Rawkus' Lyricist Lounge and Soundbombing releases.

|bruce banner|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home