]]>

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Anti-R&B Post




















Ok so it's not really an anti-post. I just wanted to get your attention for a minute. It's more about how the last collabo post made me a little ill (TMI, Hippo. Seriously though?). I never knew that guys took R&B so passionately/seriously, or rather, how closely it was tied to their pre-pubescent fantasies. I'm not sure if I can listen to those songs again without feeling a little disturbed.

Anywaaaaaaays, I had to give myself a proper read through of this to normalize the testosterone overdose resulting from reading the eloquent words of my co-bloggers. And also had some of these recent cuts on heavy rotation.

[MP3] Ladybug Mecca :: Dogg Star
[MP3] Ladybug Mecca :: Show the World
[MP3] DJ Jazzy Jeff ft. CL Smooth :: All I Know
[MP3] Pete Rock ft. Styles P., Sheek Louch :: 914
Old school artists with new school flava! Does it get anymore 90's than the smooth voice of Ladybug from Digable Planet?

[MP3] Cut Chemist ft. Edan :: Mean Gene
[MP3] Crown City Rockers :: Bboy
[MP3] Crown City Rockers :: Weekend Soul (DJ Mitsu The Beats Remix)
New artists with some old school flava.

||| debstar |

----------------------------------------

I know this may not seem connected, but bare with me here (And shouldn't it say 'B-Girl'?). Yes, it's me traveling again. This time I'm on my way back from Chicago, sitting here waiting for my flight bored, I decided to challenge myself by writing a post. I'm sure all the real writers like banner and debstar are rolling their eyes at the moment. Short side rant: is it just me or is it impossible to fly today without some delay, cancellation, etc. It's really is getting out of hand. I travel quite a bit and just in the last 3 months, out of the 6 flights that I took, 3 of them were either canceled, delayed, etc. We're battin' .500 here folks. Being inspired by the 90's R&B post that we just did, here's my other list...the Top 3 Worst Airports In the US:

1. JFK - Has a flight ever been on time there? How about just 15 minutes late? Ever?

2. O'Hare - To get to gates here is almost damn near impossible unless you are training for the Olympic Track & Field Team.

3. LAX - Can you please tell me why there are less & less flights available in the largest city in the 7th largest economy in the world?
Ok, enough crying.

Being stuck in this airport because of a non-weather related delay, here's a nice track from Thes One's Lifestyle Marketing that I'm listening to on my Ipod right now to help me relax. Cool concept.

[MP3] Thes One :: Pan Am 1
[MP3] Herb Pilhofer :: Pan Am Suite
This must have been when flying was dope.


I'm also glad I downloaded the movie Air Guitar Nation to watch as well. I'm remember a buddy of mine wanted to go see it when they were having the first ever US West Coast Finals at the Roxy a few years back. We drove out there, not expecting much, but the lines went on forever and there was no way we could get in. Definitely check it out.

I digress. Spending all this time in CHI-Town listening to my CHI playlist, I've had plenty of time to really digest Kanye's new album Graduation & I must say that its pretty damn good. My favorite, so far, is still Late Registration, but this is solid in a very subtle way. In terms of production, of course it's strong, like I mentioned with the tracks on the last Labor Of Love post. Even the lyrics like on the song "Everything I Am" are very profound...very Buddhist if I must say so myself. But the thing that did it for me was the song with Mos Def "Drunk and Hot Girls". The first time I heard this I hated it, but the more and more I listened to it I realized that I just didn't get it at first. It was the turning point for me with this album.

Maybe it was the amount of time that I spent in bars here and don't get me wrong, I know plenty of nice Midwest ladies, but what's the deal with so many girls taking so much sh*t from the fellas? I mean this must be the capital of bad pick up lines and sexual harassment. What ladies have to put up with is ridiculous. But at the same time, so of these girls that we came across...where's the self respect y'all? A la Girls Gone Wild for a beer? Some might just say it's just havin' a little fun and I'm definitely not holier than thou, but if I ever had a daughter, I hope that she won't have to put up with all this nonsense. And if anybody really steps to her, she'll know enough martial arts and be packin' enough heat to end man's kind. I haven't been clubbin' in more than minute, but the last time was in LA and it seemed even worse then, where it was all about being branded and flush with cash. To set ya head straight.

[MP3] Kanye West feat. Mos Def :: Drunk and Hot Girls
[MP3] T-Love feat. Kool Keith :: Return of the B-girl
Standing toe to toe with Keith's perverted brillance.

[MP3] Bahamadia :: True Honey Buns (Dat Freak Sh*t)
Word.
[MP3] Aretha Franklin :: A Rose Is Still A Rose
Takin' 'em to church.

[MP3] Lauryn Hill feat. Common & Black Thought :: Water

What a rant huh? Maybe I'm just on my .

::Mr. HIPPO::

3 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

Nice post (and site)...the Pete Rock link is broken, however.

8:34 AM  
Blogger debbie said...

thanks. link's fixed now.

10:19 AM  
Blogger So said...

go smoke a cigarette

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home