Mixtapes : Hip Hop Love
A while back, I was asked to put together a mix of hip hop love songs. I was really lost at first, wondering how many decent hip hop love songs I could find...Ok, there's "You Got Me"... ummm, "I used to Love H.E.R." ...but what else?
In my mind, hip hop was never really about love, and the genre, built on battling and braggadocio, just didn't quite seem fit for looove. Yet after a little digging, I actually realized I was way off, there's not only a quite a few hip hop love songs, but a lot of dope ones that have been in my rotation. I just never thought of them as love songs since they never came off as sappy as most songs of that sort...so here's a list of some of the joints I included, along with some for download. I'm sure I've missed a lot, so if you know of any other noteworthy songs, let me know...
The List (in no particular order):
1. Busta Rhymes :: This One
2. Slum Village :: Closer
3. Common :: Come to Me
4. Slum Village :: Fall in Love
5. [MP3] Common :: Love of my Life feat. Erykah Badu (This one has to be one of my favorites)
6. Common :: Love Is
7. Blackalicous :: Make You Feel That Way
8. The Roots :: You Got Me
9. [MP3] Pharcyde :: She Said (Jay Dee Remix)
10. Jurassic 5 :: Thin Line
11. Felt :: Woman Tonight
12. Talib Kweli :: Beautiful feat. Mos Def & Mary J. Blige
13. [MP3] Cee Lo :: Basshead Jazz (I know, not really a hip hop love song, but that horn over those warm, lazy beats? Ooh, it melts me.)
14. Aceyalone :: Everything Changes
15. A Tribe Called Quest :: Find a Way
16. [MP3] The Coup :: I Just Wanna Lay Around All Day in Bed With You
17. Common :: I Used to Love H.E.R.