]]>

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Mixtapes : Hip Hop Love













A while back, I was asked to put together a mix of hip hop love songs. I was really lost at first, wondering how many decent hip hop love songs I could find...Ok, there's "You Got Me"... ummm, "I used to Love H.E.R." ...but what else?

In my mind, hip hop was never really about love, and the genre, built on battling and braggadocio, just didn't quite seem fit for looove. Yet after a little digging, I actually realized I was way off, there's not only a quite a few hip hop love songs, but a lot of dope ones that have been in my rotation. I just never thought of them as love songs since they never came off as sappy as most songs of that sort...so here's a list of some of the joints I included, along with some for download. I'm sure I've missed a lot, so if you know of any other noteworthy songs, let me know...

The List (in no particular order):

1. Busta Rhymes :: This One
2. Slum Village :: Closer
3. Common :: Come to Me
4. Slum Village :: Fall in Love
5. [MP3] Common :: Love of my Life feat. Erykah Badu (This one has to be one of my favorites)
6. Common :: Love Is
7. Blackalicous :: Make You Feel That Way
8. The Roots :: You Got Me
9. [MP3] Pharcyde :: She Said (Jay Dee Remix)
10. Jurassic 5 :: Thin Line
11. Felt :: Woman Tonight
12. Talib Kweli :: Beautiful feat. Mos Def & Mary J. Blige
13. [MP3] Cee Lo :: Basshead Jazz (I know, not really a hip hop love song, but that horn over those warm, lazy beats? Ooh, it melts me.)
14. Aceyalone :: Everything Changes
15. A Tribe Called Quest :: Find a Way
16. [MP3] The Coup :: I Just Wanna Lay Around All Day in Bed With You
17. Common :: I Used to Love H.E.R.

|bruce banner|

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im so feeling the Cee Lo track!!! This song is crazy!

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a nice list you've got going here. A few months ago I started writing down songs that reminded me of a certain special someone that I'm thinking about putting together to give to her. My list however is all scattered about on a smattering of napkins and random receipts and envelopes, so I'll have to sit down and compile it al in one place at some point.

Until then though, you can check out a list of the tracks that got me started on the project:

http://thealternakids.wordpress.com/2006/10/17/you-remind-me/

11:56 PM  
Blogger RIP BANNER said...

finalllllly, someone else actually digs that cee-lo song...i just hope that wasn't a pun when you said that song was "crazy"

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh that common. breaking hearts left + right. i pine for him.

6:58 PM  
Blogger RIP BANNER said...

common may be good, but can i still respect him despite the fact that he whores himself for gap and coca cola? nah.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

o good point. you mean you didn't like the whole "peace, love and GAP" bit? confiscating an anti-war slogan for the capitalistic exploitation of GAP's needs? that stupid commerical is a whole nother digression in itself.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home