]]>

Saturday, August 30, 2008

All Respect Due



















I know this post is late in coming, but I did want to make sure we pay our respects to the late Isaac Hayes. Aside from his well known hits, Hayes was a skilled songwriter who penned one of my favorite songs, "Hold On, I'm Comin'". As any hip hop head who digs up breaks will also add, Isaac Hayes has been sampled like no other, no doubt owing to his rich, intricate compositions. I was lucky enough to see him perform a year back at the Stax Records show at the Hollywood Bowl, and it was unforgettable to see and hear him, and in particular, sing "Walk on By" so poignantly. RIP.

[MP3] Isaac Hayes :: Walk on By
[MP3] Isaac Hayes :: Our Day Will Come


|bruce banner|

------

Is it just me or does it seem that every time banner sees a living legend perform, they end up 6 feet under in a year or two? Case in point, James Brown and now Black Moses. Coincidence...I just hope I see Aretha and Reverend Al before he does (tighten up the security y'all, he looks like a green Asian). I digress. I really didn't know what soul music could be until I heard an Isaac Hayes record. I was always down for that funky groove that the likes of JB, Parliament, etc. put down, but it wasn't until I heard the lush symphonies that Isaac put on top of them, that I was truly born with a soul. He didn't just make tracks, he made epic music. Part of the foundation of the legendary Stax soul music, he will be greatly missed.

[MP3] Isaac Hayes :: Joy
{Doesn't get more epic than this.}
[MP3] Isaac Hayes :: Runnin' Out Of Fools
[MP3] DJ Wonder :: Isaac Hayes Tribute Mix

And let's not forget this.
::MISTA HIPPO::

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a sad loss to see Isaac Hayes go so early - his style of SOUL was a gift to this world and is irreplaceable!!

6:06 PM  
Blogger RIP BANNER said...

definitely diane, I loved his compositions, they're so uniquely his that no one can come near putting together so rich...by the way, does anyone else think that in the video below common is looking an awful lot like hayes?

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home