]]>

Friday, June 16, 2006

SLEPT ON: Nelly Furtado's Folklore

Have you ever heard any album where you thought, "Damn, am I the only one who digs this?" Well, every month, I'm going try to drop an album that I thought was slept on like this. For the first installment, it's Nelly Furtado's Folklore album back in 2003. Everyone knows her debut album Whoa Nelly! with the big hits "I'm Like A Bird" and "Turn Off The Light" (the later being what Timbaland did a remix for) and the new album, Loose, which drops next Tuesday, is bound to blow up with the smash hit "Promiscuous" (Timbo got buff!) already everywhere from the top of the charts to cell phone commmercials (For all you Exclusive Heads, I included my favorite new track off Loose, "Say It Right." Yes, there are other songs besides "Promiscuous." I prefer the boy-girl wordplay of the Positive K classic "I Got A Man." Damn I think I just dated myself.)

Anyways, Folklore did better overseas than domestically where it only sold 100,000 copies. You can listen to the album straight through as it has that very ecletic sound that Nelly has become famous for, but combined with a more stripped down rawness that makes the album (for lack of a better word) folksy with a banjo on my knee. Here are two of my favorites (check the Portuguese flow on "Forca").

[MP3] Nelly Furtado :: Say It Right

[MP3] Nelly Furtado :: Try
[MP3] Nelly Furtado :: Forca

Furtado's site

:: MISTA HIPPO ::

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH, SURE NELLY FURTADO'S SLEPT ON. I JUST SAW HER ON "GOOD MORNING AMERICA"!

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, he was talking specifically about the Folklore album, which i agree was slept on. ass.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for having my back. I did mean specifically that album. But since there's a challenge out there, I think with the next "Slept On", I'll post something that very few will have ever heard of (the group & the album). Appreciate the feedback & keep those comments coming!

::MISTA HIPPO::

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home